The first time I encountered a Mint Chocolate Brownie I was a freshman at Brigham Young University (BYU) in Provo, Utah. The student center on campus offered up this magical treat in the cafeteria and it was love at first bite! Who can resist a chocolate gooey brownie? Top it with a sweet minty layer and chocolate icing and you have the food of the gods. For years, I longed to recreate this heavenly treat, but never quite succeeded. Finally, I found the original BYU recipe and I have been playing around with it ever since. Hats off to the original creation, but I think I have actually made their Mint Chocolate Brownie creation even more magical—so I call it the Ultimate Mint Chocolate Brownie. I think you will agree. Instead of a sweet, chocolate frosting top layer, I have substituted a smooth, rich, chocolate covering. My brownie layer is a bit thicker and richer than the original with the addition of chocolate chips. These changes make this treat not just out of this world, but shoots it off into the stratosphere.
Step back in time to the 1960s when culinary genius Eliza Wardle, the pastry sorceress of Cougareat, waved her baking wand and conjured up the iconic BYU mint brownie recipe. Picture this: a decadent brownie masterpiece with a double-decker delight. A foundation of fudgy goodness is crowned with a refreshing mint icing, lavishly smothered beneath a rich chocolate layer. Today these indulgent marvels aren’t just made; they are crafted in epic 30-sheet symphonies, making a staggering 120 traditional 9×13 pans of pure deliciousness each time. Today the mint brownie tradition lives on at BYU, not merely in memory but in a whopping 140,000 annual sales. It’s more than a brownie; it’s a time-honored masterpiece, a delicious testament to Eliza’s ingenuity, and a true taste of BYU’s sweet history. If you ever find yourself on campus in Provo, Utah be sure to make your way to the Cougareat and try this mouth-watering fantasy. Be warned—they are BIG! But, if you never make it out west—I’ve got you covered. Simply follow the recipe and directions here. It may look daunting, but trust me, it’s worth all the effort.
Ultimate Mint Chocolate Brownie Recipe
Brownie Layer Ingredients:
- ¾ C cocoa
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅔ C butter or margarine melted and divided
- ½ C boiling water
- 2 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⅓ C flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 C chopped walnuts if desired
Mint Layer Ingredients:
- 5 Tbsp. margarine
- dash of salt
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 2 1/3 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. mint extract
- 1-2 drops green food coloring
Chocolate Layer Ingredients:
- 2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 T butter or margarine
Directions for Brownie Layer:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease or spray with commercial cooking and baking spray a rectangular pan, (Or glass dish) 13x9x2 inches
- In a medium bowl, combine the cocoa and the baking soda.
- Blend in ⅓ C melted margarine or butter.
- Add the boiling water and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in the sugar, eggs and remaining ⅓ C melted margarine or butter until smooth.
- Add the flour, vanilla and salt. Blend with a spoon until completely combined, but don’t over stir. Batter may still be slightly lumpy.
- Stir in the 1 C chocolate chips and the walnuts (if desired)
- Pour into the prepared pan
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the side of the pan. Do not overcook brownies, you want them to be soft and chewy. Cool completely in the pan before putting on the mint layer.
Mint Layer Instructions:
- Soften margarine.
- Add salt, corn syrup, and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Add mint extract and food coloring. Mix.
- Add milk gradually until the consistency is a little thinner than cake frosting.
- Spread gently on cooled brownies. Cover all the way to the edges, but be careful not to pull tops off of the brownies. Place brownies and pan in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, until icing is set.
Chocolate Layer Instructions:
- Place semi-sweet chocolate chips and butter or margarine in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds and stir.
- If needed, microwave for an additional 10 seconds and stir until completely combined and smooth.
- Remove the chilled brownies from the refrigerator and carefully spread the chocolate over the mint layer. This can be a little tricky because you don’t want a swirled or marbled look. Spread all the way to the edges and return to the refrigerator to set up the chocolate.
- 30 minutes before serving, remove brownies from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature, then cut into servings.
Tips and Tricks:
- Plan ahead. These brownies do take a little bit of time, so do them early in the day to allow for cooling time. They can be easily made a day ahead and still be soft and delectable.
- When making the brownies, do not use a mixer. Just stir with a large spoon until the ingredients are combined. You want your brownies to be fudgey so just mix until the wet and dry ingredients are just combined. Overmixing allows more air into the batter, which will give you lighter, cake-like brownies instead of dense, rich ones.
- It’s easy to overbake brownies, so watch them carefully. The center of the pan may still look soft—that’s okay. Test with a toothpick about 2 inches in from the side of the pan. The toothpick should come out clean.
- Don’t skip the refrigeration or cooling steps! Your layers will be difficult to spread and may become mixed. You want to have three distinct layers of goodness.
In the delightful realm of desserts, where joy takes the form of delectable indulgence, the triple-layered mint fudge brownie reigns supreme. A harmony of flavors and textures awaits with every luscious bite – the chewy embrace of the fudgy base, the refreshing zing of the mint layer, and the smooth overlay of chocolate on top. As you embark on this masterpiece, a bit of patience and effort is demanded, but fear not, for the end result is nothing short of spectacular. With each mouthwatering square, you’ll be reminded that good things come to those who wait. Elevating the ordinary to the extraordinary, this triple-layered mint fudge brownie stands as a testament to your cooking prowess, impressing guests and friends alike, and filling hearts and taste buds with sheer delight.