Years ago, when my girls were in pre-school, their teacher, Miss Pam, gave me this recipe for DIY Soft Play Dough Recipe. I have made a lot of Play Dough recipes in my life, but this one has got to be the best Play Dough recipe around. It stays soft for weeks or even months as long as you keep it in an airtight container.
Part of the fun is having the kids help to measure the ingredients and stir it them all together. So it’s kind of educational too!
I have a set of Alphabet & Number Dough Stampers that I bought years ago. Amazon has a set that is similar. This makes learning letters and numbers fun! Every kids loves to spell their own name in the dough.
I have found that kids can play with this Play Dough for hours given the proper tools! I have accumulated quite a nice collection of fun tools that I keep in one of those dollar store plastic shoe boxes. When our “grandbuddies” come to visit, they have so much fun!
Here’s how to make the DIY Playdough:
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. salt
- 1 t. Alum
- 3 T. oil
- 2 c. water
- In a saucepan, bring to a boil the oil and water.
- Meanwhile mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon, making sure to incorporate all of the ingredients. The mixture will be hot, so set it aside for a few minutes.
- When the dough is cool enough to handle, have the kids knead the dough until smooth. (If you are impatient, you can stick it into the refrigerator to hurry it up!)
- If you want to color the dough, you can knead in a few drops of food color. (Some people like to add the coloring to the water before mixing.) I like to divide the dough and make several colors out of one batch. Store in an airtight container or a zipper seal bag.
2 thoughts on “DIY Soft Play Dough Recipe”
So I was looking on pinterest for a play dough recipe and found my way here. I looked at the picture on the side and thought, Wait a second! I know those women!! My beautiful cousins and aunt! Kudos on the blog! It looks really great. I’m going to start following it. Take care, lots of love!
Wow! Great to hear from you Brenda! Yes, we are blogging! So excited you found us! What a small world Pinterest is! Hope your family is doing well!