A family favorite coming at you today! A Classic Apple German Pancake recipe. What did you grow up calling these? German pancakes? Dutch babies? Puffy pancakes? Whatever you call them, these are always a big hit with adults and kids alike. Packed with protein, and a simple twist with the addition of apple and cinnamon, this breakfast is as easy as can be. This recipe can easily be doubled and thrown into a larger pan 9X13 pan too. Enjoy!
Classic Apple German Pancake Recipe
- 3 eggs
- ¾ C milk
- ½ C all-purpose flour
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 2 apples peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 T butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 T brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium bow, mix eggs, flour, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt and cinnamon until blended. Then turn to high and beat for 3 minutes until the batter is light and foamy. Then set aside.
- Place 1 T of butter in each of two cast iron skillets, or small pie tins. Melt the butter by placing the pans in the hot oven. Keep an eye on them, you don’t want the butter to brown.
- As soon as the butter is melted, add the sliced apples to the pans and return to the oven until the butter sizzles.
- Remove the pans from the oven and immediately pour half of the batter over the apples in each pan.
- Sprinkle each pan with 1 Tbs brown sugar
- Place pans in the middle of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and browned.
- Serve immediately. These can be topped with powdered sugar, chopped nuts, berries, maple syrup or whipped cream for a special treat.