Summertime is here and, with it, comes plenty of opportunities for kids to get creative, explore their imaginations and have fun. Whether you’re a parent looking to keep your kids busy or a teacher trying to plan some activities during summer break, these summer boredom busters are sure to bring lots of smiles. From outdoor scavenger hunts and arts-and-crafts projects to science experiments and board game marathons — not only will these activities engage children in the moment, but they’ll also cultivate educational growth that can last beyond the end of summer!
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Create a treasure hunt for the kids around the house or outdoors. This is a great way to keep kids entertained for hours. Hide items around your home or yard and give clues to help them find them. You can make the treasure hunt as easy or difficult as you want depending on the age of the participants.
- Make Sun Print Art. This learning activity will engage kiddos of all ages. With a sunny day, some construction paper and a few coins you can create art and learn a lot about the power of the sun and UV rays. Mom Brite shared instructions for this fun experiment.
- Set up a mini water park in the backyard with sprinklers, pools, and slides. Running through the sprinklers is a classic summer activity that kids of all ages will enjoy. Add to the fun by having a Water Balloon Fight. Fill up some water balloons and have fun pelting your friends and family members with them. This is a great activity for hot summer days when you need to cool off.
- Learn to fly. Well maybe not actually learn to fly, but for ideas on paper airplanes, helicopters, kites, straw rockets and homemade frisbees check out Krokotak.There’s nothing quite like taking your creativity outside during the summer and having the chance to make paper airplanes, rockets, helicopters and frisbees! It can be a learning experience as you research ways to make them with the most accuracy. Plus, if you want to add an extra twist of excitement, try competing with friends in contests to see who can get their creation to fly the furthest or make the most turns in the air. Who knows – you may soon unlock a hidden passion for aeronautical engineering!
- Learn to build a campfire – teach your kids how to build a safe fire and enjoy marshmallows afterwards! Who says you need to go camping to experience the thrill of a campfire? Building a campfire at home can be just as exciting, if not more! Picture this: the warm glow of the fire, the crackling of the wood, and the smoky scent filling the air. Whether you’re making s’mores with your family, singing campfire songs with your friends, or just enjoying the peaceful ambiance of the flickering flames, there’s something truly special about gathering around a campfire. But before you start building, make sure to gather some firewood, kindling, and matches – and don’t forget to follow all safety precautions! So why not ignite the adventurous spirit in you and try building a campfire at home?
- Have an indoor carnival day – complete with games like ring toss, hula hoops, and bean bag toss! Get ready to put a smile on everyone’s face because it’s time for an indoor home carnival this summer! Don’t let the heat and weather bring you down when you can create a thrilling experience right in the comfort of your own home. Set up game stations like ring toss or balloon darts and prepare prizes for the winners. Snacks and treats are a must and can easily be transformed into carnival favorites like cotton candy or popcorn. Let your creative side shine and decorate your space with colorful streamers and balloons. This is the perfect opportunity to spend time with loved ones and create unforgettable moments. So grab your family and friends and get ready to have some carnival fun!
- Set up an outdoor Summer Escape Room. Ready for an adventure that will keep your kids entertained for hours? Look no further than an outdoor summer escape room! This thrilling activity is the ultimate boredom buster, giving kids the chance to tap into their problem-solving skills and work together to crack the clues and solve the puzzles. There’s nothing quite like the rush of finally escaping the room, and the satisfaction that comes with a job well done. Plus, this outdoor escape room experience means that kids can enjoy the sunshine and fresh air while they play. Easy to follow directions for creating this adventure is shared by teachingideas.ca
- Try your hand at Hand Clapping Games. . Do you remember the hand clapping games you played as a child? Now is the perfect time to dust off those old favorites and introduce them to your own children. Not only will it keep them entertained for hours, but you’ll also get to relive some of your own youthful memories. From “Miss Mary Mack” to “Down Down Baby,” there are endless games to choose from. Plus, hand clapping games are a great way to improve hand-eye coordination and concentration in your little ones. So, get ready to show off your skills and teach your kids some new moves – you’ll have a blast together! Simply Well Balanced has a list of all the old favorites and maybe some new ones too. They even include videos and lyric sheets.
- Make Ice Cream in a Bag. Around the Kampfire explains how easy this is for everyone to do. This can be a yummy experiment and kids will be able to learn and see how cooling actually changes matter.
- Have a Movie Marathon. If all else fails, gather up some snacks and have a movie marathon! Pop some popcorn and curl up with your favorite blanket and watch one movie after another until you fall asleep.
Summertime is here, and with it comes plenty of opportunities to explore something new, have some fun and get away from the screens. We’ve reviewed some of the best activities suited especially for children of varying ages, so that they can all enjoy their outdoor experience this warm season. Plus, these activities don’t just help children relax and have fun – they offer substantial physical benefits and learning opportunities as well! From swimming to hiking to biking and so much more, now is the perfect time to break away from indoor habits, take advantage of the warmer weather, and find meaningful ways to enjoy the summer season. So get outside while you still can and don’t forget your sunscreen! No matter who or how old you are, summertime brings joy when we embrace it – so let’s make the most out of it! Go ahead…get out there and try something new this summer! Be active!