Summertime is the perfect time to experiment with different frozen desserts.
Nothing cools like ice cream on a hot summer day and this recipe is a real winner. It combines all the delicious fruits of a banana split with a smooth chocolate sauce and ice cream. There are so many fun things to do in the summer and no one wants to worry about having to come up with a last minute dessert for dinner or that barbeque you’re invited to this weekend. Get out and enjoy the sunshine. There are baseball games to see, lakes to boat on, mountains to hike and pools to swim in. Make-ahead frozen desserts are the perfect solution! This frozen Banana Split Ice Cream Dessert Recipe will be requested again and again.
One of the biggest advantages to making this Banana Split Ice Cream Dessert Recipe is that you can prepare it ahead of time, freeze it, and then enjoy it when you’re ready. This is especially helpful if you have a busy lifestyle or you want to spend more time enjoying summer days outdoors instead of in the kitchen.
This delicious treat features strawberry ice cream as well as a layer of rich chocolate. It is reminiscent of the classic banana split that is a summer icon. Made from simple ingredients, it only takes about 30 minutes to create. Add freezing time of one hour and you have an amazing treat in no time that will keep in your freezer for up to 2 months and feed a crowd.
This Banana Split Ice Cream Dessert Recipe doesn’t require baking which makes it cinch to throw together, especially on a hot day when the last thing you want to do is turn on the oven! This means that all you need is a freezer and some basic ingredients you probably already have on hand like strawberries, ice cream, frozen whipped topping, butter, evaporated milk, graham cracker crumbs, and chocolate chips—no oven required! No-bake desserts are where it is at in the hot summer months!
Banana Split Ice Cream Dessert Recipe
- 1 can 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 C semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ C plus 6 T butter divided
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 1 ½ C graham cracker crumbs
- 3 medium bananas sliced
- 2 qts. strawberry ice cream softened
- 1 ½ C chopped pecans optional
- 1 carton 8 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 9 halved strawberries
- Chocolate curls optional
- Combine the evaporated milk, semisweet chocolate chips, and ½ C butter in a small saucepan. Heat on medium, stirring until butter and chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and mix. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 12-15 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Let the chocolate cool to room temperature. I like to put it in the fridge and stir it often to speed the cooling. Watch that it doesn’t start to set up too much. You want to be able to spread it later. But it must be cool enough it won’t melt your ice cream.
- While the mixture is cooling, melt the remaining 6 T butter and mix with the graham cracker crumbs in a medium bowl. Stir well and press into the bottom of a greased 9” x 13” glass dish. You could use a metal cake pan in a pinch, but line with parchment paper first.
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and top the crumbs with the sliced bananas.
- Next, spread the softened ice cream on top of the bananas and sprinkle with the chopped pecans. (Walnuts could be substituted if you prefer.)
- Spoon the cooled chocolate mixture over the nuts and spread all the way to the edges.
- Freeze for one hour.
- Spread the whipped topping over the chocolate and then re-freeze. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Remove dessert from the freezer 15 minutes before serving and top with the halved strawberries and chocolate curls.
If you’re a fan of indulging in sweet treats during the hot summer months, but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen slaving away over a hot stove, then this make-ahead frozen Banana Split Ice Cream Dessert Recipe is the perfect solution for you. Not only is it incredibly easy to make, but it also allows you to enjoy a delicious and refreshing dessert without any fuss.
The beauty of this recipe is that it can be prepared well in advance, allowing you to store it in the freezer for future use. This means that you can have a delicious treat ready and waiting for you whenever the mood strikes, without any additional effort. Plus, since it’s frozen, it’s a great way to cool down on those scorching hot summer days.
The Banana Split Ice Cream Dessert Recipe is incredibly versatile and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Whether you prefer a classic banana split flavor, or want to experiment with different fruits, toppings, and flavors, the possibilities are endless.
So, next time you’re looking for a cool and refreshing treat to satisfy your sweet tooth during the summer months, consider making this delicious and easy-to-prepare Banana Split Ice Cream Dessert Recipe. Your taste buds will thank you later for the amazing burst of flavor and texture that this dessert provides.