One of the many cooking tips I’ve learned over years is that the more uniform the size of the food you are cooking, the more evenly it cooks,and the more control you have over the texture. Thus, the better the result of the final dish. One of the many foods this applies to is onions. I know they may not be the first thing you think of, but they should be…at least one of the first. Onions are a power food. They add flavor and can add great texture if you execute them correctly. Because they can make or break a dish, I’ll show you the fastest, easiest way to dice an onion so all the pieces are uniform and you know they will all cook evenly.
1. Cut both ends off the onion.
2. Score a line down the side from end to end with your knife. That will make it easy to peel the outer skin right off.
3. Stand the onion on one of the flat ends. Cut the onion directly in half.
4. Lay the onion down on the side you just cut so the striated lines are horizontal to you.
5. Proceed to slice the onion into strips trying to maintain the shape of the halves.
6. Turn the onions so now the slices are horizontal to you. Slice the onion the other direction.
7. Repeat with the other half.
8. Presto. We changed an onion to a perfectly proportioned pile of onion in under a minute.