This recipe is part of a series we are doing for 350 calorie meals. No, that is not a typo, I said 350 calorie meals! This Southwest Turkey Burger is a low calorie version of a regular Southwest Burger. I’ve found that with a few substitutions, you can save big on calories, and still have great flavor. Instead of an enriched white bun, we are making a smarter choice of a whole wheat English muffin. I is smaller is bulk, and packed with whole grains. I also swapped out the beef, which can be very high in fat, depending on the variety, and opted for ground turkey, which is ALWAYS lean. Because we are taking out fat, I needed to add back in some flavor, so I seasoned the patties before I grilling them. Want the full details? Here you go.
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey
- 2 Tbs. Mrs. Dash (Onion and Herb)
- Red onion, sliced
- Whole Wheat English Muffins
- Place ground turkey in a large bowl. Add Mrs. Dash seasoning and stir until evenly distributed. Divide meat into 5 equal sized balls. Between 2 sheets of parchment paper, press the turkey into a patty. Grill for 5 - 7 minutes on medium or until cooked through.
- Place grilled turkey burger on the English muffin. Top with sliced red onion, 2 Tbs. salsa, and 3 thin slices of avocado.
- Serve with a side of 1 cup steamed green beans.
For this recipe, I used my trusty George Foreman Grill. If you don’t own one of these, YOU SHOULD! It has saved me so much time when I really need to grill, but can’t or just don’t want to go fire up the big grill. This version has removable plates so cleaning is so easy. This is seriously one of the best investments for your kitchen. Go check it out!