Do you love the satisfying crunch of popcorn, but want to add some extra flavor?
You’re in luck! We’ve compiled a list of the top 10 best homemade popcorn flavoring recipes that are sure to tantalize your taste buds. From buttery favorites to savory treats, you’ll find something to satisfy any craving. So ready your popcorn maker and get ready to enjoy some delicious snacks!
Popcorn is a fun, easy snack to make at home. Plus, you can customize it with a variety of flavors to suit your preferences. Whether you’re looking for a classic salty snack or something more creative, these recipes are sure to delight. All you need is your favorite popcorn and a few extra ingredients to make a delicious snack that you’ll want to make again and again.
THE BASE: THE POPCORN
I can’t stress the importance of using freshly popped popcorn. Making your own popcorn at home is easy and fun. With just a few simple ingredients and a few minutes of your time, you can have a freshly popped batch of popcorn that rivals any microwave bag.
Here are basic instructions for two favorite methods without using the microwave.
First: Stove-top method. All you need is 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, a large pot with a lid, and ½ C popcorn kernels. This will make 14 cups of popped corn, so be sure your pot is large enough to accommodate.
- Heat the pot on medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil.
- Add kernels of popcorn to the oil and cover the pot.
- As the kernels begin to pop, gently shake your pot back and forth across the burner to keep the kernels in motion so they won’t burn.
- Once the popping slows down to every three seconds remove the pot from the heat and pour into a large bowl. It’s now ready for any toppings or flavoring.
Tips and Tricks
Using a lid that fits snugly is important for making popcorn. This will help keep the heat in and the popcorn popping. It’s also important to keep an eye on the popcorn as it’s popping. Take the pot off the heat as soon as the popping slows down to avoid burning.
Second: Air popper method. Air poppers are a great way to make tasty popcorn without all the oil, fat, and calories of a traditional cooking on the stovetop.The kernels are just turn out lighter and fluffier too. Read on to learn how to make the perfect bowl of popcorn with an air popper!
Before you begin popping, make sure you set up the air popper correctly. Begin by plugging the popper into an outlet. This will begin the heating process in your popper. Place a large bowl below the popper’s spout to catch the popcorn. Next, pour the desired amount of popcorn kernels into the popper’s chamber. You may need to experiment with the amount to find the perfect ratio of kernels to popcorn. I usually do ½ cup, this will make approximately 14 cups of popped popcorn. It may take a few minutes for the popper to reach the correct temperature. When the heating element is hot enough, it will start to pop the kernels. Be sure to keep the top on your air popper or you will have popcorn flying like a snow blizzard in January. Once the popping slows down, you can turn off the popper and enjoy your freshly made popcorn or dress it up with the fun recipes listed below.
Tips and Tricks
I like to pop my corn in one bowl, then shake the bowl gently so all the unpopped kernels slide to the bottom of the bowl. Then I gently lift the popped corn into a second bowl leaving the seeds and husks behind and giving you the best quality of popcorn. There’s nothing worse than biting into a hard kernel when eating your favorite snack.
10 HOMEMADE POPCORN FLAVORINGS:
Now that you see how easy it is to make quality popcorn on your own, try these top choice ideas for embellishing this popular treat and surprise your family with your creativity.
1. Chocolate Peanut Butter Popcorn: Satisfy your sweet tooth with this delicious combination of chocolate and peanut butter. Sprinkle with crunchy chopped peanuts for extra flavor! The recipe for this delectable treat from The Almond Eater can be found here.
2. Salted Caramel Bacon Popcorn : Indulge in this savory treat! Start with a base of freshly popped popcorn and top with melted caramel, crispy bacon and a pinch of sea salt. It’s true—everything tastes better with bacon! We owe this awesomeness to Mildly Meandering.
3. Pizza popcorn: This recipe is often requested in our home. It combines all the flavor of pizza with our favorite crunchy snack.
- ⅓ C butter
- ¼ C Kraft Parmesan cheese not freshly grated cheese
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp crushed oregano
- ½ tsp crushed basil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 10 C popped corn
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in all of the spices.
- Pour over the popcorn and stir gently.
- Spread on a parchment lined cookie sheet and heat in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes.
4. Honey Mustard Popcorn: Sweet and tangy all at once, this popcorn will satisfy anyone’s taste buds. Drizzle a mixture of honey and mustard over freshly popped popcorn. This amazing recipe comes from Fitness Blender.
5. Cinnamon-Sugar Popcorn: This simple classic is always a hit. Sprinkle freshly popped popcorn with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar for a sweet treat. For the proportions check out My Heavenly Recipes, they have included an easy to follow video too.
6. Taco-Seasoned Popcorn: Cooking With Curls tells us how to spice up our popcorn with this Mexican-inspired flavor combination. Start with a base of freshly popped popcorn, and then sprinkle with a mixture of taco seasoning and nutritional yeast.
7. Cheddar Cheese Popcorn: This cheesy favorite is perfect for movie night. Crafting My Home has discovered the way to make this savory snack with real cheddar cheese avoiding the use of artificial flavoring and powders. If you love cheese (and who doesn’t?) this is irresistible!
8. Salt and Vinegar Popcorn: Tangy and salty all at once, this popcorn is sure to please. Cookies and Cups came up with a recipe that pops with the addition of a little dill. It’s easy and ready in a flash!
9. White Chocolate Popcorn: Rich and sweet, this popcorn from Your Home Based Mom is the perfect indulgence. Add some pretzels, M & M’s and marshmallows and popcorn becomes a decadent treat.
10. Cinnamon Bear Popcorn: Laced with sweet cinnamon bear candy this popcorn is a favorite with kids
Cinnamon Bear Popcorn
- 30 C popped popcorn
- 4 C miniature marshmallows
- 1 16 oz. bag cinnamon bears, chopped
- 1 C butter
- 1 C sugar
- ½ C corn syrup
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 3 drops red food coloring optional
- Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide popcorn between the baking sheets.
- Add 1 C miniature marshmallows to each sheet.
- Divide cinnamon bear pieces between each sheet.
- Toss ingredients on each sheet to combine; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring butter, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil, stirring continually. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir continually.
- Add vanilla and food coloring.
- Pour hot sugar mixture over popcorn; stir carefully. The heat will melt the marshmallows.
- Cool and enjoy!
In summary, dressed up popcorn is an easy, versatile, and delicious snack that’s perfect for movie night or game night. With so many flavors and toppings to choose from, you can customize your popcorn to suit your mood and taste preferences. Not to mention, it’s a healthier option compared to many other snack foods. Give it a try and enjoy the taste sensation!