Have any of you had the White Chocolate Cinnamon Caramel Apples at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory? They are to die for! I don’t live near one of their shops, but that’s probably a good thing because I tend to over-indulge when I’m in a 3 mile radius. They have the yummiest caramel apples ever!
Because I’m a total do-it-yourself kind of girl when it comes to food, I thought I would take on the challenge of recreating this amazing caramel apple.
I went through a few different kinds of caramel, and white chocolate, and what I ended on might surprise you. I tried the gourmet caramels for dipping from specialty shops, and although the flavors alone knocked your socks off, the combination wasn’t mimicking my favorite Rocky Mountain flavor. Good old Kraft caramels were the answer. They make this new product called caramel bits. It is the regular caramel we are all used to in the individually wrapped squares, but now no unwrapping. It made it so fast, and convenient.
Here is the play-by-play for the whole process:
- 1 bag Kraft Caramel (bits)
- 1 bag Ghirardelli White Chocolate Wafers
- 5 Granny Smith Apples
- 5 skewers
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Melt the caramel + 2 Tbs water in one double boiler, and the white chocolate in another double boiler. When they have completely melted, take them off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Make the Cinnamon mixture in a small bowl and set aside.
- Skewer the apples down through the top, so the apple has an easy handle to hold as you roll through the toppings.
- Place a greased piece of parchment paper on a tray. When caramel thickens and is just slightly warm, roll each apple, and immediately place on the greased parchment paper, and place the tray in the fridge. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
- When caramel apples are cool, take them out and roll through the white chocolate. Immediately sprinkle cinnamon mixture over the whole surface of the apple and place back in the fridge.
- Wait until white chocolate is hard (about 10-15 min), and you are ready to serve.
These white chocolate cinnamon caramel apples are a great treat any time of year, and make great gifts. Give this recipe a try, and let us know what you think!