Today it snowed. Actually, it is still snowing, and that, to me, says we’re having soup for dinner. My favorite soups are typically Italian soups. One of my favorite Italian Soups is Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. It screams comfort, and as the name declares, it is riddled with my favorite herb on the entire planet…basil. I can’t get enough of it! I grow it year round, in a pot by my big window. My son has been designated to “feed” the plant, and I know in the back of his mind, he secretly trying to prove himself for the chance of a puppy. (Fat chance kid). This soup is very fresh, and very easy to make. If you’ve got an hour to simmer, this is one of the best homemade soups around.
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 c. chopped carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbs. coarse salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
- 3 Tbs. tomato paste
- 10 medium tomatoes (fresh on the vine is best)
- 1/3 c. fresh, chopped basil
- 2 c. water
- 2 1/2 tsp. Better than Bullion
- 1 1/2 c. heavy cream
- Heat a large skilled to medium heat. When pan is hot add olive oil. When oil dimples it is ready to add the veggies. Add the chopped onion and carrots to the pan and saute for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, and saute about another minute.
- Add roughly chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper, tomato paste, and sugar, and basil. Turn heat to high. When it reaches boil reduce heat, and simmer on low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the liquid reduces down a bit.
- In a large pot, heat up the water and Better than Bullion. When hot, carefully add the contents of the skillet to the pot, and heat through for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat, and add the cream.
- With an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth,creamy texture is achieved. (If you prefer your soup chunky, you can omit this step.)
- Serve hot, and garnish with croutons and fresh basil.
Some of the items I used for this recipe:
(Click on the pictures below to for details.)
If you like this recipe, try some of our other delicious soup recipes: