At our house, we call this Nana’s Christmas Trifle. It’s a Christmas tradition that has been in my family for years. My mom still makes it for when the family gets together for the holidays. (I like to make it for dinner parties!) It’s a fairly traditional English Trifle recipe that we have simplified by using easy ingredients. It’s a colorful, pretty dessert in a footed trifle bowl that looks beautiful on a buffet table. It definitely has that WOW factor! This Trifle recipe is one that can be switched up easily. We use strawberries, but you could easily use blueberries or raspberries if you prefer. You can make homemade cooked pudding if you like, but we like to make it easy, so we go for the simple boxed pudding mix.
Here’s our recipe:
- 1 - white cake (prepare a 13 x 9 cake according to directions and cool)
- 2 pints fresh strawberries (reserve a few to garnish the top)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup strawberry jam or preserves
- 1/3 cup orange juice or white grape juice
- 1 large box cook ‘n serve vanilla pudding (prepare according to directions)
- 1 small container of Cool Whip
- 1 can spray whipped cream (for top if desired)
- Slivered almonds (optional for garnish)
- Slice strawberries and place in a medium sized bowl. Sprinkle them with the sugar. Set aside until juicy. Thin the strawberry jam with a tablespoon or 2 of water to make it pourable, but not too runny.
- Cut the cake into 1” cubes.
- Spread 1/3 of the cake cubes onto the bottom of clear glass trifle bowl. Drizzle with 2 T. the orange juice, 1/3 of sliced strawberries, 1/4 c. strawberry jam, 1/3 of the pudding and 1/3 of the Cool Whip.
- Repeat the layers 2 more times in the same order pressing down lightly as you go. Cover with plastic wrap and. refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, decorate the top with the spray whipped cream, reserved strawberry slices and slivered almonds if, desired.
I think you’re gonna love it. This may become one of your Christmas traditions! (Take a picture of your beautiful trifle to post on your Instagram before your family digs in! If you do, please tag us @themamasgirls.com. We’d love to see it!)